Quote

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." - Aragorn,The Two Towers

Friday, September 26, 2014

The Half-Way Point

Wow, 36 days in and 1/2 of the challenge completed. I did not expect to have this much done at this point! Can't promise the same rate for the second half (but can't guarantee it will not be the case, either).

Surprise wins, surprise losses (Into the Pit), plenty of small mistakes (too many to list), and a lot of fun. This really is a great game and the designers are continuing to add creativity and freshness to it.

I've started tagging "Favorite Quests." This means the quests that I want to keep in mind to return to often for future games (both solo and multi-player). What makes a favorite quest for me? Balance. I don't want a cake-walk, but I don't want a hopeless situation either. It's okay if a specific attempts gives me either outcome, but there are some quests where you will usually get one or the other with either no challenge or no hope in sight. Easy ones are often worse for me. The game gets boring when it just feels like "Draw, quest, fight a little (or not), repeat x times and done." The game is great when there is variety built into the quest itself (Steward's Fear, Foundations of Stone) or if there are meaningful choices the player has to make. From the previews I've seen, it looks like quests of both nature are on the horizon.

Going Forward

I will take on the last Dwarrowdelf quest, Shadow and Flame, solo, then move onto The Hobbit saga boxes. My wife and I will work on Blood of Gondor and Morgul Vale together, moving onto The Black Riders after that. Massing at Osgiliath and Heirs of Numenor will be solo efforts on my part. We'll wait to see about Voice of Isengard and any Ringmaker Cycle adventures.

The goal was to stop on my purchases, enjoy the game, and then evaluate at the end. But I'm a bit eager to reward myself for getting this far! Some more thought will go into the decision, but don't be surprised to see the Status box updated with a few more quests to complete and player cards in hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment