Quote

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." - Aragorn,The Two Towers

Friday, January 28, 2022

Revised Core Blog

 


And we are back, baby!

Four+ years of hiatus and then a revised core box calls me back from my self-imposed exile to once again show the world how many mistakes I can make in playing one card game.

Last time, the goal was to build or use unique decks to conquer every quest released up to that point. I didn't quite make it to the end (stopping with a few Sands of Harad adventures in drafts), but I did prove to myself that this game is fully capable of being beaten with a solo player piloting a single deck. 

For the revised go-around, the single-deck restrictions and the need to try unique decks most times is off the table. I'll bring whatever feels right for the moment.

And this adventure is also starting at square one. Once I get my new components punched out and organized, it will be time to face down the Flies and Spiders of Mirkwood. New posts will usually come out as new content arrives from FFG.

Revised Core Review

Let's talk about this box. You know how it's exciting for dresses to have pockets? Well it is just as exciting (and surprising) when and FFG core set has good storage. Marvel Champions started out with this type of plastic mold and I'm assuming the revised Arkham Horror core is the same. I am a huge fan. Now what I want to see is how FFG handles cycles moving forward. Marvel Champions releases hero packs and small-boxed encounter expansions with no natural storage. The latest Arkham cycle featured a disposable box of player cards and a well-built box, with storage, for the encounters. There is one two adventure pack and four hero packs coming in the near future for Lord of the Rings to get people started. After that, I hope we can look forward to a release cycle and packaging style similar to Arkham.

Content, the Good: I am holding in my hands three copies of each player card and eight copies of Gandalf. Fantastic, all-star move from FFG. This is what established players were wanting for most of the game's life. While the price tag reflects the increase, new players can pick up a single core and not feel they are missing out by not having a second (or a third...). We also have the inclusion of a campaign structure, featuring the boons and burdens that come with that. The three core scenarios already followed a linear storyline, but this adds more of a thematic element to it.

Content, the Bad: Escape from Dol Guldur is back. The "why would you expose brand new players to this massacre" quest. Now, I have not given the quest a fair shake with the new campaign structure. Looking ahead, I can see that the designers have attempted to ease up the difficulty a bit (maybe? we'll see how many burdens I have by that point). I am curious to see if this has a real effect on first impressions for the many players who will pick this revised core off the shelf.

Time to punch out these counters, sleeve up these cards, and begin my journey once again!




No comments:

Post a Comment