Quote

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." - Aragorn,The Two Towers

Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Journey Ends

A little under four months ago I decided to embark on a journey to play through my (growing) backlog of The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game quests. Before investing any more in the game, I wanted to enjoy what I had.

Forty quests into 43 quests I own, it is clear to me that the game is worth at least a little more of my investment. The next two Adventure Packs for the Ring-Maker Cycle, plus The Road Darkens, are on their way to me as I type. The final Ring-Maker AP will be coming out soon and will be ordered ASAP. In light of that, I decided to end the challenge prior to starting the newest cycle and instead play through it with the full player card-pool (which is how the cycles are play-tested). This will be done at a more casual pace alongside my wife.

There have been a lot of mistakes along the way (Conflict at the Carrock, which will need to be re-done at some point) and much growth in my skill as a player and deckbuilder. While I am still not an expert player, I guarantee the lessons learned over these past few months will make the game much more enjoyable for my family in the future. And that was the whole point, after all.

J.R.R. Tolkien created a rich world and the team at Fantasy Flight Games has crafted a truly enjoyable way to enter that world. While there are misses (Voice of Isengard), the hits (The Black Riders) outweigh them. I look forward to many more years of selecting my heroes, gathering my allies, and exploring the riches of Middle-earth. And I hope this blog will aid you in our own journey!



2 comments: