Quote

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." - Aragorn,The Two Towers

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Looking Back: The Voice of Isengard

Just as I was surprised that I enjoyed the Against the Shadow cycle, I was surprised that I did not enjoy this box. There were new mechanics and creative ideas, but the quests just did not come together for me. The Ford of Isen and Into Fangorn were mediocre quests for me. I might come back to them, but they won't be at the top of the list. But To Catch and Orc actually came off as broken to me. I would put it as low as Escape from Dol Guldur in terms of victory being primarily dependent on luck (but also requiring a good deck and skill).

Design wise, I have to give big round of applause that 1) all encounter sets were used among the three quests 2) all three quests could be assembled at the same time. That was a fantastic decision I hope to see repeated again!


No comments:

Post a Comment