Quote

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." - Aragorn,The Two Towers

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Quest 5: Conflict at the Carrock

Victory on the fourth attempt

The Journey

I am very thankful for the feedback of visitors to this blog, pointing out unclear areas in my write-ups or flat-out errors. Due to miss-reading Saruman's text this game (or rather, not reading it after using him effectively in Journey Down the Anduin), I made a few errors in the final rounds that would have still allowed me to win the game, but would have added extra time and threat to my final score. Since I did not keep detailed notes on that attempt, I am going to re-attempt the scenario and will post the updated (and detailed!) journey in the next few days.

Threat was my biggest enemy the first three rounds I played (especially attempts where Rupert Louis was still in play and aided the other trolls in boosting my threat three points at a time when they all engaged me earlier than planned). But on the fourth attempt everything came together for me to put Grimberon the Old into play. I had already played on Gandalf to lower my threat and went into round eleven with just about the perfect hand to start taking down some trolls: Gandalf, Saruman x2, Thicket of Spears, Feint x2, Halfing Determination, Quick Strike.

Dispatching Troll #1: With a low threat (having played Gandalf to lower it), I drew Morris in and destroyed him in Round 11. Merry + others, with the help of Halfling Determination, put some progress on The Carrock.

Dispatching Troll #2: Saruman entered play, removing Rupert Louis from play (and bringing my threat to 35 to draw in any other enemies). Protected from behind a thicket of spears, I was able to destroy Louis Rupert in Round 12

Dispatching Troll #3:  Saruman entered play yet again, removing Rupert Louis from play. Saruman, Grimbeorn, and Eomer dispatched Stuart. Merry, with the help of yet another Halfling Determination (and assistance from Theoden and allies), explored The Carrock and put the needed progress on stage 2B.

Dispatching Troll #4: With three trolls gone and the needed progress on the quest, I won the round with Rupert Louis out of play (thanks to Saruman).

Final Scoring
12 completed rounds x10: 120
Final threat: 39
Damage on heroes: 0
Threat cost of defeated hero: 0
Victory points: -3
Total: 156

The Deck

I was pretty happy with the Eomer's Conflict deck I had made, but expected playtesting to show some room from improvement. Sure enough, a few cards were not pulling their weight. Prior to my third attempt I:
  • Switched Bofur out for a third Saruman: Saruman proved very effective in my first two attempts, helping to bring me within a hair's breadth of victory. The increase in threat brought death close, but his absence would not have prevented that and his presence postponed it.
  • Switched Knight of Minas Tirith x3 for White Tower Watchman x3: I lost heroes on both of my first two attempts, due to the lack of a defender. The Watchman's ability to quest or defend and still take undefended damage makes him an all-star in most mono-sphere decks I play.
The deck was working better, but I found one card really wasn't performing for me and there was another I definitely missed. Prior to my fourth attempt I:
  • Switched Hail of Stones out for Feint: This card would be great in a circumstance where I had two trolls left, Saruman in my hand, and a ton of allies down. Hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.
That left me with a deck I was really happy with.

Eomer's Conflict

Heroes
Eomer
Merry
Theoden

Allies
Envoy of Pelargir x3
Defender of Rammas x3
Vassal of the Windlord x3
Westfold Outrider x3
White Tower Watchman x3
Gandalf x3
Saruman x3

Attachments
Rohan Warehorse x3
Firefoot x3
Horn of Gondor x2
Good Meal x3
Book of Eldacar x3

Events
Unseen Strike x3
Halfling Determination x3
Quick Strike x3
Thicket of Spears x3
Feint x3

Sets Used
Core
The Dead Marshes
Road to Rivendell
Over Hill and Under Hill
Heirs of Numenor
Encounter at Amon Din
The Morgul Vale
The Black Riders
The Voice of Isengard
The Dunland Trap

Feint really proved its worth, allowing me to stop Stuart and some Misty Mountain Goblins from attacking in the final round.

Including three copies of Firefoot was a good call. I drew two throughout a few attempts, but I always had one at least and was thankful for the +2 attack.

But Saruman is truly the MVP of this deck. Fighting even one troll is hard. Four is near impossible solo (doable, I'm sure). Being able to remove one from the equation the final round, while getting +5 attack to help with the remaining one, is fantastic.

The Recap

I knew mono-Tactics had it in it to defeat the challenge of the Carrock! It was great to see this old goal of mine finally realized. And no wonder it took so long, with so many of my essential cards only available since the very end of last year (Theoden, Merry, Halfling Determination, Rohan Warhorse, Saruman, Eomer, Firefoot).

4 comments:

  1. You know that Louis only raises your threat by 3 for troll attacks if he's engaged with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! Typo and clarification. I changed Rupert for Louis up above. Thanks for the catch. And, yes, it was when all the trolls engaged me at once that my threat skyrocketed due to Louis' effect (not simply when he was in play).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure Saruman can't target the named trolls, since they're unique. Sorry to bear bad news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pete. That is a massive error on my part, but rectifiable. Saruman would have been used to negate the Misty Mountain Goblins in Round 13 with Feint on the last trolls (and Louis would have been killed earlier). I would still have dispatched one of them, then taken care of the other during turns 14 and 15. I'll think through the details and make a (very apologetic) correction above, as well as needed adjustments to my score.

      Delete